Thursday, March 27, 2014

Connecting to our Spirit Guides #paranormal

Although I've been personally fascinated by the paranormal for years, it took me a long time to feel comfortable discussing my experiences with people. Even now I will see someone's eyes subtly change from interested to skeptical or…worse…to "you are completely nuts." But it's a new age of "take me or leave me" so here we are.

 I had my first experience with a voice outside myself when I was 25 and in a life and death situation. I distinctly heard another voice guiding me to safety and suddenly had the strength to fight for survival. (I'm sure I'll get into this story more one day, but today's not my time in the spotlight.) Whether that was a Spirit Guide, Guardian Angel, or another higher power, I don't know. Are Spirit Guides the same as Guardian Angels or are they different? I'm not pretending to know the answers and I welcome input. Today Author Tammy Dennings Maggy opens up to us about her own experience with connecting to her Spirit Guides. Welcome, Tammy!

I’d like to thank Dakota for inviting me here today to talk about my own experiences with the paranormal realm and my Spirit Guides in particular. From an early age I had imaginary friends. My parents chalked it up to being the only child and figured my “friends” would disappear once my sisters and brothers came along.

They didn’t go away. No matter how hard I tried not to see or hear them, they stayed with me throughout my life until I was in a place where I could open up and believe again. When you’re an innocent child, you don’t have any preconceived notions of what is right or wrong. You’re taught these things by your parents and others in your environment. If you’re brought up in a family that doesn’t believe in spirits or even have a strong religious foundation, you don’t have any other choice but to hide what’s happening to you.

For years, I denied the blessing of being able to see and hear my Guardians. I can’t communicate with all spirits, only those connected to me in some way. My Grandpa Fila came to me the night he passed away and for weeks afterward. Our conversations were real. I could touch him. Then I’d wake up and he’d be gone. My parents kept telling me it was just a fantasy—my wish for him to still be with me manifesting in my dreams. He wasn’t real, they said.

They were wrong.

For every milestone in my life, he’s been there. Over the years more have joined him. A young man I loved in high school named Scott started showing up before I headed off to veterinary school. When I didn’t think I could cut it, he’d be right there whispering in my ear to keep going and not give up. Another family friend, Paul was killed in a car accident on Thanksgiving Day during my senior year in vet school. I couldn’t make it home for the funeral and had horrible regrets. I buried all of it with booze. I lived for the weekends when I didn’t have to study for a test because then I could spend them drunk and numb.

That’s when he joined Grandpa and Scott.

I never told Paul how much he meant to me. He was the big brother I never had. Sure I had one hell of a crush on him—he was sexy as hell. LOL!  After he died, I wished with all my heart I would have just told him how much I loved him. Come to find out, he knew and he wasn’t about to let me forget it!

 I was away from my family during Christmas break working in the ICU of the Michigan State Veterinary hospital. I wasn’t on call so I had several drinks before dropping off to sleep. I woke up with a start in the wee hours of Christmas morning as if someone had shaken me awake and called my name.

There he was standing in front of me with his arms crossed over his chest and shaking his head. Never before had he looked at me like that. In fact he wasn’t the only one. Grandpa, Scott and a few others were there. I guess you could call it my very own spiritual intervention. Of course I denied they were there. They had to be a part of a drunken dream. They were dead. I closed my eyes tight and rolled over. “Go away.”

Yeah, that didn’t work at all.

Since I refused to talk to them while awake, they took over my dreams and reminded me of why I wanted to be a veterinarian and how much all of them cared about me. This is when I first met my Guardian, Nathan. He told me I had many more trials to go through yet before I found my happily ever after. Some would hurt more than others—a hell of a lot more, but I had to buck up and pull myself through. It wasn’t my own life path at stake. There were people I had yet to meet and those from my past who would need me one day as much as I would need them.

I know that sounds corny and probably more than a few of you are thinking I’m one wrench shy of a full tool box. I did too. It’s why I didn’t tell anyone about it and kept it all to myself. I buried it and flung myself into my studies and then into my first position as an emergency veterinarian. I burned the candle at both ends and the middle, too exhausted to dream…or so I had hoped.

Instead of being straight forward, my dreams became more cryptic and symbolic. To make sense of them, I started researching and found connections to the Native American legends and the Celtic traditions.  As my studies in those traditions and the Wiccan faith continued, the clearer my dreams became and Nathan appeared to me more regularly.

He didn’t give me any special insight or help me see into the future. He was just there for me during my darkest days. From moving across country to start a new life with someone who promised me the moon and stars, to losing my step dad to cancer, to the end of my first marriage, to having my world and heart shattered by a love from my past—all of it damn near broke me. My heart had shattered beyond repair. I was dying inside and I saw no way out.

That’s when Nathan brought in the reinforcements. Grandpa, Scott, Paul, my dad and my newly discovered animal spirit guides:  the eagle, wolf and dragon/dragonfly made themselves known again. All of them helped me see I had the strength to battle back from the darkness by channeling everything into my writing. My entire journey is all there in black and white told in the stories of all of my characters. The Spirit Guides, The Three, Goddess Fate, Guardian Angels, falling for the wrong man, denying my true self—all of them are present and accounted for in those pages. People who know me will recognize the similarities to real life situations. Those who don’t will recognize similarities to their own battles.

Once I poured out all of my heartache and pain, my heart and soul began to heal. That’s when I met my current husband and soul mate. Liam is not only a kindred spirit in our beliefs in the spirit world, he supports me in everything I want to do. He loves me unconditionally and makes me feel like I’m the center of his universe now, forever and always. With his support and that of my spirit guides, I can bring the things I only dreamed about to life in the real world and in my writing.

My life has come full circle. I’ve found my happily ever after with the help of my Spirit Guides. Can’t ask for much better than that!


Thank you so much for sharing that heartfelt story, Tammy! I have goosebumps from reading it. Remember, I invite respectful and intelligent commentary here. Please share your own experiences and thoughts below. 

More about Tammy:


As the founder of Sassy Vixen Publishing, Tammy has a lot on her plate. Not only has she established herself as an erotic romance author with Siren Bookstrand, but she's also published two books of poetry and has many more projects underway. Finding time to write and keep up a full schedule as a veterinarian in a very busy practice in the Pacific Northwest has been a difficult task, but one she takes on happily with the help of her husband, “Mr. Vixen.”

Through her website/blog Behind Closed Doors and her blog Not Enough Time in the Day you can get a glimpse into her hectic schedule.  Now she can add Best Selling Author to her resume as her vampire inspired poetry book The Courtship of the Vampyre is one of the top sellers on Omnilit (ARe affiliate).
The love of books of all genres helped her decide to write under four pen names. This way she's able to tell the stories all of her characters wish to tell whether it's the sweet and sensual or hot and spicy. Speaking of spicy, Tammy is also part of the Four Seduced Muses along with three of her Siren author friends. No topic is off limits with the Muses and that's the way “The Vixen” likes it!
Readers can also connect with her and her alter egos through Facebook and Twitter.

Check out Tammy's books that feature Spirit Guides and other paranormal (and erotic) aspects. You won't be disappointed. 
Buy Links

Where to find Tammy
 Blog





1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for having me today. I love sharing my experiences. I'll have to tell you about the Medicine Wheel taro reading my hubby gave me. It was so spot on and that was when we were first dating and didn't know anything about each other.

    ReplyDelete